CHIMA announces 2014-2015 Board of Directors
July 23, 2014
LONDON, Ont. – The Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA) is pleased to announce its new Board of Directors for 2014-2015. Health Information Management and its certified professionals are essential in providing the quality information required to optimize the healthcare industries clinical, financial and administrative outcomes.
“Guiding CHIMA through the evolution of HIM practices is Nancy Haugen (pictured), CHIM – Chair of the Board,” said Gail Crook, CEO and Registrar of CHIMA. “Nancy’s experience and knowledge of HIM in both the clinical and educator fields, as well as her keen business perspective will be critical as we move forward to raise the profile of the HIM profession.”
Nancy Haugen is a certified Health Information Management professional who is a graduate of NAIT. During her career she has worked in multiple acute-care facilities in Alberta and British Columbia, holding a variety of positions, as well as working for HMRI/CIHI for 11 years in customer service and educator roles.
This combination of knowledge and experience provides her with a unique perspective on the role of the HIM professional in today’s healthcare environment.
“I am committed to the advancement and enhancement of health information management and to raising the standards and awareness of the skill sets offered by HIM professionals,” said Haugen. “As the only certifying body of HIM professionals in Canada, we are committed to providing robust educational programs, and working closely with healthcare decision-makers, at all levels, to ensure high quality data capture.”
CHIMA is also pleased to announce its newly installed Board Directors:
- Kathleen Addison (Vice-Chair) – Senior Provincial Director of Health Information Management with Alberta Health Services.
- Sandra Cotton (Secretary Treasurer) – Health Information Management Program Coordinator for the Centre for Distance Education and is based in Ontario.
- Sharon Baigent (British Columbia) – Director of Records Management & Registration for the Lower Mainland area of British Columbia.
- Christine Bolduc (Quebec) – Manager of Health Information Management at Institut universitaire en santé mentale de Montréal.
- Gail Crook (Ontario) – CEO & Registrar of CHIMA/CCHIM.
- Leah Goguen (New Brunswick) – Coordinator and Leader Instructor in the Health Information Management Program at New Brunswick Community College.
- Bill Pascal (Ontario) – Bill has recently retired as the Chief Technology Officer for the Canadian Medical Association. He is now involved in his own consulting company – Richard Warren and Associates.
- Altaf Stationwala (Ontario) – President & CEO of the Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital, in Richmond Hill, Ontario.
- Margaret Penchoff (New Brunswick) – Classification Specialist with the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) and Chair of the Council on Education and Professional Practice.
- Charmaine Shaw (Ontario) – is a newly elected Director. Charmaine recently retired as the Director of HIM and Privacy at Women’s College Hospital in Toronto.
The Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA) is the national organization that represents leadership and excellence in health information management. CHIMA supports continuing education and professional practice of HIM professionals; develops strategic partnerships to advance the development and integration of electronic HIM; and advocates for and strengthens the HIM role in healthcare settings across the continuum of care.