How can you learn to be a great healthcare leader?
September 27, 2023
WATERLOO, Ont. – The course investigates the nature of leadership, considers what makes a good leader, and investigates the skills needed in leadership, including effective communication, handling conflict, building high-performing collaborative teams, decision-making, and setting and achieving a vision and goals.
By successfully completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Delineate the current leading theories of leadership and leadership qualities
- Develop and deliver a successful communications strategy
- Provide effective feedback to colleagues/subordinates comfortably
- Understand their conflict management style, recognize the advantages and disadvantages of their approach, and act on improving their approach
- Demonstrate the steps in building a high-performing team and participate in one through the various exercises and simulations given in the course.
- Work ethically and apply principles of accountability in daily life.
- Incorporate mental health breaks/mindfulness throughout your work day/week.
Dr. Candace Gibson (pictured) PhD, CHIM, Assistant Dean, BMSUE, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, Western University; Director, Center for Collaborative Command and Leadership, CMU & Western University; Instructor, NIHI.
Dr. Gibson served as the Chair and Past-Chair of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA), and is recognized as one of the pioneers of Canadian e-learning, health informatics education, and as an editor and author of the first Canadian text book on health information management and recently of the Canadian guidelines for the health information management lifecycle. Dr. Gibson has been the recipient of numerous provincial and national research grants, and also of several awards recognizing her outstanding achievement as a university educator, the recipient of the AFMC-Infoway eHealth Award in 2013, and CHIMA’s Tribute to Excellence Award in 2016. She is the author of over 80 peer-reviewed publications in experimental neuroscience and health informatics