CHIMA announces 2016/17 Board of Directors
July 6, 2016
LONDON, Ont. – CHIMA is pleased to announce that Kathleen Addison (pictured), CHIM (AB), is in her second term as chair of the CHIMA Board of Directors, and that three new members have been elected to the CHIMA Board of Directors.
“With Kathleen’s leadership, many projects and initiatives were completed over the past year,” said Gail Crook, CEO and registrar of CHIMA.
“We are excited to evolve the role of the Health Information Management Professional. CHIMA has broadened its horizons with the implementation of the CHIMA Chapter Model. This framework was achieved collectively through a framework, and high-level engagement of the Provincial Associations, and all CHIMA members.
“Under the guidance of Kathleen and the CHIMA Board of Directors, we will embark on a journey to understand CHIMA’s direction with respect to our Strategic Plan, and Health Information Management Practice in Canada”.
Kathleen is a HIM Professional with more than 35 years experience. She started her HIM career as a health record technician and through lifelong learning and progressive roles has worked from the file room to the board room.
She has worked in acute care hospitals in Ontario and Alberta and now leads Health Information Management as a senior provincial director for Alberta Health Services. Kathleen is passionate about HIM and is excited about the emerging opportunities.
“CHIMA has reached a turning point with the introduction of the Chapter Model,” said Addison. “As we continue to move towards a digital environment, the magnitude of workforce transformation for HIM professionals will be significant in our ability to meet industry needs. We must build a sustainable strategic vision and define our domains of practice with role clarity.”
Kathleen is also pleased to announce CHIMA’s newly elected Board Directors:
- Charmaine Shaw (Ontario) (Vice-Chair) – is a Director and an independent HIM consultant based out of Ontario.
- Karen Carlson (Alberta) – Karen is the Chair of the Council on Education and Professional Practice. Karen is the director of provincial services for Health Information Management, and director of the South Zone – based out of Lethbridge Alberta.
- Gail Crook (Ontario) – Gail is the CEO & registrar of CHIMA/CCHIM.
- Marlene Raasok (Alberta) – Marlene is a Director. She has just recently retired as the executive dean for the School of Health and Life Sciences and Community Services at Conestoga College in Kitchener, Ontario, and now resides in Alberta.
- Altaf Stationwala (Ontario) – Altaf is a Director. He is the president & CEO of the Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital, in Ontario.
- Robert Van Oort (Ontario) (Secretary Treasurer) – Robert is a Director. He is the senior VP and chief operating officer at the Dryden Health Centre, Dryden, ON.
- Leah Anscombe (British Columbia) – Is a New Incoming Director, and is the director of clinical and information support at the Vancouver Island Health Authority, in Victoria BC.
- Karen Pietrangelo (Ontario) – Is a New Incoming Director, and is the manager health information management/patient registration at the Niagara Health System in Niagara Falls Ontario.
- Yoel Robens-Paradise (British Columbia) – Is a New Incoming non-HIM Director, and is the vice president of clinical and systems transformation and Lower Mainland Health Information Management at Providence Health Care in Vancouver BC.
The Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA) is the national organization that represents leadership and excellence in health information management. CHIMA supports continuing education and professional practice of HIM(r) professionals; develops strategic partnerships to advance the development and integration of electronic HIM; and advocates for and strengthens the HIM role in healthcare settings across the continuum of care.