Newsweek ranks top Canadian hospitals
April 10, 2019
NEW YORK – In its April 5 2019 edition, Newsweek magazine ranked the best hospitals in 11 industrialized countries around the world. For Canada, it ranked 85 hospitals, giving each a score. At the top is the University Health Network, followed by North York General Hospital in Toronto, and Rockyview General Hospital (pictured) in Calgary.
Newsweek and its survey partners used three data sources to make their rankings: recommendations from medical experts (doctors, hospital managers, healthcare professionals); results from patient surveys; and medical key performance indicators (KPIs).
They excluded hospital chains and those with fewer than 100 beds.
The 11 countries surveyed are: the USA, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Switzerland, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Australia and Israel. The countries were mainly selected based on standard of living/life expectancy, population size, number of hospitals and data availability.
The number of hospitals ranked in each country varies based on the number of hospitals and data availability in the respective country. USA had the most hospitals awarded with 250, while Israel and Singapore were represented with 10 hospitals each.
Below are the top 25 Newsweek Top Hospitals, listing hospital name; score; city; number of beds. For the full list of top 85 hospitals, and the methodology, see https://www.newsweek.com/best-hospitals-2019/canada:
- Toronto General Hospital; 91.1; Toronto, ON; 433
- North York General Hospital; 91.0; Toronto, ON; 410
- Rockyview General Hospital; 90.3; Calgary, AB; 650
- Jewish General Hospital; 89.3; Montreal, QC; 637
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences; 88.3; Toronto, ON; 627
- Montreal General Hospital; 87.9; Montreal, QC; 479
- Royal Jubilee Hospital (RJH); 87.8; Victoria, BC; 500
- Royal Victoria Hospital; 87.8; Montreal, QC; 517
- Vancouver General Hospital; 87.8; Vancouver, BC; 737
- Foothills Medical Centre; 87.5; Calgary, AB; 1,062
- Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM); 87.2; Montreal, QC; 927
- Victoria General Hospital; 87.1; Victoria, BC; 344
- Toronto Western Hospital; 86.5; Toronto, ON; 281
- Peter Lougheed Centre; 86.5; Calgary, AB; 600
- Mount Sinai Hospital; 86.5; Toronto, ON; 442
- St. Paul’s Hospital; 86.0; Saskatoon, SK; 700
- Grace Hospital; 86.0; Winnipeg, MB; 247
- Lachine Hospital (McGill University Health Centre); 85.9; Lachine, QC; 134
- Humber River Hospital; 85.7; Toronto, ON; 656
- Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre; 85.7; Halifax, NS; 941
- Hôpital de l’Enfant-Jésus (Centre hospitalier affilié universitaire de Quebec); 85.2; Quebec City, QC; 125
- St. Michael’s Hospital (Toronto); 85.1; Toronto, ON; 455
- Kelowna General Hospital; 85.1; Kelowna, BC; 711
- UBC Hospital (UBC); 85.0; Vancouver, BC; 332
- Queensway Carleton Hospital; 84.8; Ottawa, ON; 264