Funding of projects to help Canada weather crisis
May 6, 2020
MONTREAL – Faced with the urgency posed by COVID-19, Scale AI recently launched a call for projects that can help Canada meet this challenge by leveraging technology and artificial intelligence (AI). The challenge resulted in more than 120 projects being submitted in just three weeks. Eight of these projects have already passed all the stages of analysis and approval, and are being announced today, representing a total investment of over $3.4M.
“Our government is mobilizing its resources in the fight against COVID-19, and it’s great to see Industry doing its part. I’m proud of the superclusters, including Scale AI, for stepping up to leverage their broad membership and Canada’s strong industrial base to confront COVID-19. Together, we will protect the health and safety of all Canadians,” said the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry.
Hélène Desmarais (pictured), co-chair of the Scale AI Board of Directors, added, “The mission of Scale AI is to support Canada’s prosperity and growth. Responding in times of crisis is self-evident and it is in this spirit that we have mobilized our team to participate in the national effort to respond to the challenges posed by the pandemic. While agility is crucial, these projects also demonstrate that AI is a reality today, with solutions that can be deployed quickly.”
The projects being supported are integrated into the various axes of intervention of Scale AI, with projects developed by industry and others involving research, and an initiative relating to the acceleration of start-ups.
Optimization of distribution of diagnostic tests for COVID-19
Roche Diagnostics, division of Hoffmann-La Roche Limited
- With demand for COVID-19 diagnostic testing, there is currently a limited supply of tests. This AI solution will be powered by a robust forecasting model and an allocation optimization engine that takes into account constraints in global supply, and national testing capacity, and evolving circumstances.
Intelligent digital assistance system
Careteam Technologies & FleetOps
- This project aims to equip community organizations and volunteers to document needs and manage interventions in a coordinated manner, on a digital platform that brings together local stakeholders.
Rapid distribution capacity of essential cargo
The Montreal Port Authority and CargoM
- This AI-based solution enables the optimization of identification and prioritization of critical cargo arriving by container at the Port of Montreal to ensure rapid distribution of essential goods (medical equipment, food) in the current COVID-19 context.
Response to the COVID-19 crisis for home care
Partners: Les Services Bien Chez Soi, Polytechnique Montréal
- This solution aims to create a new tool for monitoring the health of both patients and workers. This helps protect their health, limits the risk of spreading the virus and ensure continuity of care and services, whether in person or through virtual consultations.
Access to resources on COVID-19 through chatbot
Partners: Mila, Nu Echo, Samasource, Google, Johns Hopkins University and Dataperformers
- Dialogue is developing a project to improve the service of the Chloé automated public chatbot for COVID-19. The system aims to facilitate quick access to relevant information for citizens and allow healthcare professionals to focus on tasks that require their expertise, while protecting the public and avoiding misinformation.
Strengthening deep learning in the search for effective antiviral molecules against COVID-19
- To accelerate interpretation of research data for effective antiviral molecules in the fight against COVID-19, a new deep learning algorithm will exploit the capabilities of AI in fundamental research and transfer this knowledge into applied research.
Digital framework for clinical trials for accelerated evaluation of a new COVID-19 treatment based on colchicine
Montreal Heart Institute
- Development of intelligent infrastructure to oversee clinical trials by optimizing the management of informed patient consent, and capture, filtering and analysis of data from a treatment evaluation study based on colchicine to reduce mortality from COVID-19.
CDL recovery program
Creative Destruction Lab
- CDL is adapting its mentorship program to enable start-ups to face the challenges posed by COVID-19 in terms of public health and economic recovery.
About Scale AI
Scale AI is an investment and innovation hub that accelerates the rapid adoption and integration of artificial intelligence (AI) and contributes to the development of a world-class Canadian AI ecosystem. For more information, visit scaleai.ca.